Saturday 13 June 2009

Tongue over the bit!

Today we did some in hand work and then some long reining.. the in hand work didn't go so well, Livvi was walking through my hand, but it wasn't until we were long reining and she had her tongue over the bit that I realised she may have been doing it in hand!

It was very frustrating, she would be fine for a bit then I'd notice her go really mouthy and she had it over! Its quite funny though as she just lets you stick your finger in her mouth and poke it back!! lol! I put the cheek pieces up by 3 holes ( in total, not both sides) and I think she was OK at the end but I'm not sure if the bit is now too high!

I had brill fun long reining though, she did her first buck :-D all because she wasn't listening so I flicked the whip at her. She made me laugh, it was so half hearted. lol! We also went up the drive and she marched along happy as can be...we met Simon on the lawn mower and although she kept an eye and ear on it, she wasn't overly bothered. :-D

The more I do with her, the more I think she is ready for a rider! I was considering what is holding me back and there isn't anything, just my own fear that it will all go pear shaped I suppose! I told everyone that I needed to long rein for at leats 2 weeks after sitting on her, yet todays she proved that I don't need to be there for her to feel safe. The in hand work is fab and she is moving off my slightest touch and she is even starting to respond to my body language.

Livvi is so clever that once she has learnt something she gets bored, thats how it is with the in hand work, we repeat last times moves and she does it perfectly but if you keep persisting she gives you the whole I've just done that routine! My thought was to get on and get get hacking, to keep her interested whilst continuing schooling on long reins and in hand.

If you could see me now, I'm frowning!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe a bitless bridle would help you get started? If she isn't accepting the bit inhand and in long reins, it will *probably* be the same ridden (I learnt the hard way with Spirit) but not necessarily. To be safe hacking, you must have brakes and steering but it doesn't have to be particularly pretty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete