Saturday 20 June 2009

Long reining.

Today we tried long reining with the new bit. With the bit set at the same height as yesterday, Livvi got her tongue straight over......I have thought about this and I think it is to do with the direction the bit is working in her mouth, in hand the focus is on up toward the corners of her mouth but with the long reinging, there is more pressure on her tongue as the reins run through loops on the roller below her withers.

I took the bit up a hole which stopped her tongue trouble and then concentrated on keeping the contact light so that there was no discomfort and if she did nap or pull away, I dropped the contact as a reward when she did as I asked. I must have been doing something right as after 20 minutes work she suddenly got light and round on the circle......we were doing walk trot walk transitions in the car park (Iam trying to condition her feet a bit too!) and it was lovely, she was working through from behind, really stepping under through the transition and softening in front, listing to my rein aid and my voice, but as per everything we couldn't mimic it on the other rein!

I feel that we took another step forward today and that Livvi is really starting to understand the contact and how to carry herself, its sooooo exciting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment