Thursday 18 June 2009

Guess what Livvi and I did today?

I had it all planned and I think she knew, she kept sniffing me and I was a bit nervy!

We had a fab in hand session (so different to yesterday you wouldn't believe!) and she is always lovely and calm after these so we went in the round pen with the idea of getting on and actually trying for some forward movement....the getting on went perfectly but the forward was not happening as I couldn't get Livvi to keep her head off the floor! I had a head collar on with reins as well as her bridle but the head collar didn't work and I was worried about jabbing her in the mouth!

So...we went up to the car park and the yard!!! Mad I know but I decided that the ground is actually probably just as hard and all in the mind! So on I get again and off we go, right round the stable block and back! :-D I was pooing my pants and grinning at the same time! lol!

Now I have had time to reflect I'm bouncing and have also analysed what went on: She was as good as gold and let me steer her but she was nervous and her ears were flicking everywhere, I don't think she had made the connection that it was me on her back! I asked her to walk on and she listened with total focus on me but just stood in slight confusion, it took ages before she kind of clicked and moved but I praised her and while we had forward I left her alone. Stopping was interesting, same problem, it took ages for it to sink in!

I used my leg very lightly and the same with the reins but I feel a bit unsure myself, she is so responsive to my voice on the long reins and lunging I honestly just thought she would understand when I was sat on!

Can't wait for next time! :-D

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an excellent start!!!! Make full use of those voice aids, that, combined with her learning aids in hand will transfer to the ridden work. Laura and Paul both helped me in the very early ridden stages with Spirit, they provided the "forward" from behind if she got completely stuck, rather than me having to make my aids strong or teaching her to ignore the leg. Well done girl! xx

    ReplyDelete