Sunday 21 June 2009

Help at hand!

In the form of Vicky! :-D

A massive thank you to Vicky, firstly for coming over, secondly for helping me with la la land pony and thirdly comes later!

We worked in hand, Vicky took the rein and I was pleased that she felt the change in Livvi since she last visited, sometimes you do wonder if its all in your head! But she quickly establised what I had missed and that Livvi is falling out through her shoulder on the left rein and in on the right rein. Vicky worked her both ways and the difference was amazing, Vicky is a calm teacher and Livvi is a fast learner and it didn't take her long to figure it out. One trick Vicky did show me was to drop the inside rein totally on the left rein and use your left hend on the outside rein, the difference was huge as you could really use it properly and it made a massive difference to the control of Livvis shoulders. Hopefully Vicky will coment and add to this as I am naf at write ups but here is us using the outside rein.


So now for thirdly :-D I tacked Livvi up fully and with Vicky in charge of Livvis head (mostly to stop her eating!) as my security blanket we had a proper walk around the paddock, I picked up a light contact and was pleased to feel she was there atthe end of the rein. I was VERY nervous (mainly its because if things go wrong then I will worry even more!) but with Vicky reminding me to breathe we did 2 circuits of the paddock one on each rein and I asked for the halt at the end and got it. I was realy pleased with Livvi, she was relaxed and totally cool about the whole thing!

So what time are you coming tonight Vicky? lol!

3 comments:

  1. Well done Em, Vicky is a treasure isn't she! You'll build your confidence in no time. ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I really enjoyed it :-) Liv reminds me so much of Antsje so I can so relate to your frustrations at times ;-) She is a super little Mare and you are going to have SO much fun with her! The biggest thing to work on is sensitising her to being 'with you' rather than a mile in front both physically and mentally lol!! I think working in the round pen will be good for her as it will automatically rein her in in her mind which is where you need to get at ;-) She is naturally forward thinking so you don’t need to worry about her loosing this – you wont!!! Lol!! But for now, I would really concentrate on slow deliberate movement with plenty of halting to test how ‘with’ you she really is ;-)

    Id love to come and play again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vicky, I agree with Helen, a treasure :-D You can come and play any time, I do need help, like I said, I am totally secure with what I have done so far and I know what I want to do once I am on her but I feel a bit at sea with the bit in the middle!

    ReplyDelete