Wednesday 6 May 2009

Join up

Well, I decided that it was a worth a try so off we headed for the round pen.

It went OK, my inexperience didn't help but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Livvi trot round me and she got a bit of a workout so something gained whatever! lol!

Actually, it went OK, I started with an exercise she knew, backing up, then I tried asking her to move her hindquarters away but she just walked off and through me, so I decided nothing ventured nothing gained I would try join up!......I only did it in trot as our round pen isn't full size (its home made!) and canter is OK for Drum in there but Livvi is a bit big!......I sent her out and away from me with the end of a rope (I didn't touch her) and made her circle several times before stopping and asking her to come in. At first she gravitated towards Drummer, who was in the field 10 yards away, but gradually she stopped and looked at me. We didn't make it as far as her coming to me but she always had an ear on me and was thinking hard and licking and chewing....I ended the session when she was looking at me and focused on me and as I approached her, she turned towards me then followed me a few steps......tomorrow I am going to do a bit more, gaining respect and trust is not a 15 minute wonder.

1 comment: