Wednesday 1 July 2009

A fab week so far!



Well, Monday night Caragh lunged Livvi for me, we tried the side reins for the first time but she is resistant to them. Its funny how accepting of the contact she is in hand and yet not so lunged or in long reins. Caragh is great at lunging, she has been taught properly but the problem is, she doesn't use the same tone of voice as me...so I watched carefully so that I can get it right myself. Livvi was also a complete loon as we took her in the bigger field but it was nice to see her let off a bit of steam.

So Tuesday after a short in hand session to settle her, I got on again, with dad as chief whip flicker :-D
as you can see it went well, Livvi gives me bags of confidence, she is so chilled and listens to me so carefully. My biggest fear was that she was going to frighten me and that I would not be able to continue with her backing but it is totally the opposite....I know I shouldn't become complacent but this all feels so right!

She is much better with the contact when ridden, stearing is not an issue although I think she can get a little confused between turn and stop...forward is getting better, it takes a second for her to process what I am asking but she is starting to walk on nicely and dad only had to use the whip once or twice....We even ventured out of the round pen and had a walk round the paddock with dad at her head.



So tonight I lunged Livvi myself, Caraghs proper lunging had been a good lesson for both of us and apart from her tendancy to drift in towards me we did fab! Livvi listens to my voice much more than Caraghs and she was definitely more relaxed with me. We had some lovely transitions up and down and she even managed to ignore Drummer leaving her! She is very relaxed working with me and always comes in with a soft eye looking chilled, I wonder how much is me and how much is endorphines released by exercise? I'm starting to worry that my biggest problem will be getting her going! lol!

Then just because I can, I stuck my hat on and rode her bare back around the paddock :-D she took it all in her stride, although a bit more topline is needed before I try that again!!!

4 comments:

  1. That's great! :-D Contact is a difficult issue - I am still struggling with all mine but I know in their case the problem is me!!! Ooops!!! It sounds like you're doing a great job. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also not getting enough forward yet and I don't think I can expect a secent contact until she is moving forwards actively....I am happy with where we are though, slow steady and calm....I think I need Becky lesson to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully she'll make it sometime in the holiday, I'd like a lesson too. Shame you can't bring Livvi down to Heather's when I go. A lot of young horses don't have a lot of forward - it'll come. ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've emailed to ask when she is passing, I know she is at Junes on the 29th.

    ReplyDelete