Tuesday 7 July 2009

Just like a "proper" horse :-D

I did the same routine as yesterday, except the heavens opened and we had to stand under the shelter between lunge and ride..Livvi then felt that she just had to go with Drummer (my mum was riding!) and we had march towards where Drum was and dawdle away preferably grinding to a halt!

So, as my plan yesterday was to work on impulsion and I cannot bear a napping horse I grapped my schooling whip and off we went...at first Livvi was resistant all round, falling through her shoulder, not listening to me leg and resisting the contact ...BUT... it took a good 10 minutes ...BUT...she started to listen AND respond!!!! Yipeeeeee! It was magic! Suddenly napping pony realise that we weren't going to see Drummer whatever she did and we were definitely going where mum wanted to go and we were going at the speed mum dictated!

I didn't do anything difficult, just calmly and consistantly walked a figure of 8, backing up my leg with a flick of the schooling whip when she didn't respond and I was careful not to drag her round the circle but keep a fiem outside rein and ask for the turn using a pressure and release open rein which she caught on to exeedingly quickly.

I am really chuffed with where we are but I need to know that I am heading in the right direction so I am hopefully having an EE lesson very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment