Saturday 25 April 2009

2 weeks on!

Well, its definitely been interesting!!! I certainly didn't have huge vets bills in mind the day that Olivia arrived but there is a positive side to it all, she seems to be trusting me more and recognises me coming!

Olivia is now officially Livvi....its Helens spelling...Olivia is too much of a mouthful so I kept calling her Liv which annoyed me but I like Livvi! :-D

Today I rode Drummer, but I was having one of those days where I couldn't actually ride so we gave up on schooling and played at being cowboys! I watched the TV program on tuesday about it and I quite fancy taking Drum western, he goes well on a loose rein and will neck rein nicely!

Olivia was a good girl (again!!lol!) and stood in for ages, I made a note not to put hay on the floor though as she pees on it!!! I think she may be in season actually but as this is my first mare, I'm not really sure!!!

We went for a short walk around the field and she followed beautifully until the mares in the other field started galloping about and then she completely ignored me..I worked at gently drawing her attention back to me and lots of halts... she still wouldn't focus on me at all though (the mares were now just stood watching her) and she nearly knocked me flying so I got BIG and backed her up by waving my arms....(I have tried just squaring my shoulders and using eye contact but she looks over my head!!) but this did it, she backed up and suddenly she took note of where I was, she was licking and chewing and looking at me!...I didn't overdo it, praised her for her attention on me, walked a circle with a couple of halts and then stopped....I felt that I had actually achieved something, I didn't get cross or agressive and I only did it once but I made her think!

1 comment: